Privacy and Personal Data Policy
This policy explains the types of personal data we (Film Camera Store) may collect about you when you interact with us. We collect and process data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679. We do not disclose data to any third parties unless disclosure is necessary for the fulfilment of a service; you have specifically given consent for a particular service; or we have a legitimate interest in disclosing data. Instances in which we do disclose data to third parties are outlined below.
If you have any questions not answered by this policy, please contact us.
Our legal bases for processing personal data
Under the General Data Protection Regulations we rely on the following legal bases for processing your data:
Consent – we will ask your consent for marketing to you via email or post. If you consent we can collect and process your data for this purpose.
Contract – we sometimes need to collect and process your personal data in order to fulfil a contract with you, for example an order. We will also collect and process your data on this basis if you’ve asked us to provide a quote.
Legal – we are obliged to process some personal data to comply with the law. If you place an order with us we must retain some personal data for at least six years to comply with the Sale of Goods Act 1982, Consumer Rights Act of 2015 and HMRC guidance.
Legitimate interests – we collect and process some personal data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way you would reasonably expect as part of running our business. Specifically, we analyse information on our customers and their orders in order to provide new products or services.
The kinds of personal data we collect
Depending on your interaction with us, we may collect and process all or some of the following information.
When you visit our website:
- Computer IP address
When you order from us on our website or in stores (including trade in)
- Address details
- Phone number
- Email address
- Gender (eg Mr/Ms)
- Marketing preferences
- Order history
How we protect your personal data
The entire checkout process for the Film Camera Store website is held on a secure server using a verified SSL (secure socket layer) system for transferring data. If you click on the small padlock symbol at the top of your browser's screen, next to the web address, you will be taken to the site's security certificate.
Our company IT infrastructure has been independently audited and certified by Cyber Essentials Plus to verify that we follow good IT security practices. This means your data is kept secure. The Cyber Essentials Plus certification is government-backed and reassessed annually. See their website for more details.
If you have any concerns regarding the security of this site, please contact us.
With whom we share personal data
Sometimes we need to share your personal data with trusted third parties. In these instances, your data will only be used for the exact purpose we specify, will be transferred and stored securely, and will be deleted or rendered anonymous if we stop working with that third party.
Examples of the third parties with whom we share data are:
- Payment-processing services
- Delivery couriers and postal services
- Email marketing service providers
- Event ticketing services
- Marketing mailing houses
- Customer service management systems
- Companies who show you personalised content on our website and in emails
- Social media platforms, such as Facebook and Instagram.
- Marketing companies who analyse our customer data
- Product-review companies
- Manufacturers, if you request quotes for support, or return an item for repair by them we will share your address and purchase details with them
- Manufacturers or their agents, if you purchase an extended warranty or care product we may share your name and email address with them in order to process your purchase
- Camera repair companies or their agents if we arrange a repair on your behalf
- Survey companies if you follow a link and fill out a questionnaire
Please be assured that we treat all your information according to applicable data protection regulations (including GDPR) and security standards, and will only ever share your information with trusted parties who adhere to the same levels of data protection and security.
How long we keep your data
We will only keep your data for as long as it’s needed. After that, we’ll either delete it completely or render it anonymous (removing personal data but keeping information such as order amount for business analysis).
If you contact us for a quote and you don’t consent to marketing, we’ll keep your data for a year in case you wish to proceed with the quote.
If you order from us, we’ll keep your data for six years in order to comply with legal obligations. You can request that some of this is removed sooner – see below.
After six years we will remove your data unless you have consented to our marketing.
Your rights over personal data
You have the right to:
- Access your personal data, free of charge
- Have your personal data rectified if out of date or incorrect
- Have personal data erased, unless that would conflict with our legal obligations
- Withdraw consent for us to use personal data, if you have previously given consent
- Object to us processing your personal data and/or stop us using data for direct marketing
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, you should contact us.
How to stop us using your data for direct marketing
You can opt out of our mailing lists at any time in the following ways:
- Email marketing - click the the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of any marketing email we send or contact us with your request
- Marketing by post - contact us with your request
Please note, you may continue to receive marketing from us for a short period after opting out. We will provide you with more detailed processing times should you make such a request.
How to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority
If you are unhappy with our use of personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
The ICO’s contact details can be found on the ICO’s website.